SHOP Stock Earnings Summary — Should you buy the dip? | Utradea

$SHOP — Shopify Inc. has been consistently dropping over the last 6 months or so. Over the past 6 months, the SHOP stock has fell by more than 68%, with no apparent end in sight. This downtrend looks to be only continuing as they released their Q1 2022 earnings earlier this morning (May 5 th2022). This earnings report has sent the SHOP stock down an additional 13% in pre-market trading.

  • Total revenues grew by 22% to $1.2B (from Q1 2021 levels). However, despite their high earnings growth, SHOP missed their revenue estimate of $1.25B by 4%.
  • Shopify reported an operating loss of $98M in Q1 2022, which is very far off Q1 2021 operating income of $119M. This is a very bad sign for Shopify moving forward and was most likely one of the bigger factors contributing to their 13% decline this morning.
  • Shopify reported a net loss of $1.5B ($11.70 per share) in Q1 2022, which again falls very short of their Q1 2021 net gain of $254M ($2.01 per share).
  • Shopify reported an Adjusted EPS of $0.20/share which fell 70% short of estimates (which were $0.63/share).
  • In Q1 2022, Shopify announced that they would be undergoing a 10:1 stock split. This announcement was expected to re-gain interest in the SHOP stock, however, this had virtually no effect on their stock.
  • In their earnings report, Shopify announced that they would be acquiring Deliverr. Shopify noted that this purchase would help them to simplify and scale order fulfillment, which would give their merchants a competitive advantage.
  • Delivery offers inventory: receiving, inspection, placement algorithms, as well as preparation, storage, freight, and fulfillment optimization services.
  • Deliverr has been able to offer 2-day delivery (and 1-day in some cases) across most online stores. This paired with Shopify’s “6 River Systems” warehousing technologies, should help them to compete with Amazon’s quick package delivery times, which has not been rivaled by many others.
  • 80% of the $2.1B acquisition will be in cash ($1.68B), and the other 20% ($420M) will be granted via Class A common shares. This stock consideration represents 1,028,806 shares (1% of current shares outstanding).

I think that a large decline in the SHOP stock price is justified due to their operating loss of $98M, and the fact that they missed both their revenue estimate (by 4%), and their EPS estimate (by 70%). Furthermore, the fact that both their stock split, and news of an acquisition were unable to boost share prices, I think that we may see SHOP continue to fall over the coming weeks/months.

Originally published at https://utradea.com.

--

--

--

The social platform for investment ideas and insights. Check out utradea.com for the latest investment content.

Love podcasts or audiobooks? Learn on the go with our new app.

Recommended from Medium

Wall Street Journal clickbait or the end of NFTs?

We just sold BlogX to Techmagnate

Global 2,3-Dichloropyridine (CAS 2402–77–9) Market Research Report

These healthtech startups in Thailand

COVID19:PC as a Service Market — Global Industry Analysis and Forecast 2020 to 2027

TradeSecrets by: Tripletote Episode 16 — Carter Lonsberry

How Do Accounting Firms Make Room for Innovation?

Innovation in Accounting

Proppant Market To Reach Usd 12 Billion By 2027 | Cagr 4.3% — Forencis Research

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store
Utradea

Utradea

The social platform for investment ideas and insights. Check out utradea.com for the latest investment content.

More from Medium

The 5 Best Ways To Invest In Cryptocurrency

What Did We Learn From the Bitcoin 2022 Conference in Miami?

How I profit with Cryptocurrency? A Simple Crypto Pump and Dump Scheme

Crypto pump and dump schemes, crypto pumps and crypto pump signals from crypto pump groups on telegram or discord

Understanding Market Manipulation In Cryptocurrency Part-1